Skip to main content

Shelter beds for homeless this winter in a state of confusion

It seemed like things were splendid, with a bounty of beds [as compared to prior years] secured for the chilly season for homeless people to sleep in, but now, in the words of Libby Fernandez, "It seems to be falling apart."

An article in the Bee on Veterans' Day "Hotel chain quits talks on winter housing for Sacramento homeless," reports that room for 100 homeless people at Extended Stay America were not secured, as expected, and the Mayor's Winter Shelter Task Force is now, quickly, moving to "Plan B," seeking space at other hotels.

Beliefs and rumours in Homeless World Sacramento run the gamut.

In rules and information told to people attending the Union Gospel Mission sermon the last two nights, the congregation has been told that Winter Shelter at Cal Expo will be openning on December 15.

A "core homeless leader," in line for a lunch ticket with me in Friendship Park, told me that Cal Expo might be used for families and woman, with solo men being sheltered at the detox center.  This was all to begin on November 15.  Later, a friend hearing this information, said that can't be quite right -- November 15 is a Sunday.  They would not be opening shelters on Sunday, for many reasons, including the desire for adequate news coverage.

Everything seems to be in the air, and we are already well into the month of November, when things should have been nailed down, such that shelters could open quickly in advance of any mighty storm abrewing.
-----
A quick review:

On October 23, the mayor held a press conference at City Hall to announce that his task force had come up with funds and venues to house a mighty 269 in shelter for the 4 1/2 month chilly season.

Kathleen Haley, a professional reporter with the The Sacramento Press, reported on Oct 26 that stimulus funds would provide Rapid Re-housing for 151 homeless people which would reduce the strain during the winter to shelter homeless people.  By Heely's computations, that brought the number of chilly-season-relief beds to 419.

But then on Oct. 30, the Bee reported on the problem with 105 beds for homeless families at Mather.  Rancho Cordova officials out there in the east end of the county said the cottages slated for use by the task force were "uninhabitable" due to mold and vandalism.

On Nov 2, the mayor announced that core safe ground leaders, numbering approximately 22, were being given hotel/motel rooms for the winter months, beginning on Nov 15 through Mar 31.  It is believed in Homeless World that these safe ground people got their rooms immediately following the news conference. [UPDATE:  the safe ground people got rooms at the rather luxurious Hawthorn Suites hotel.]

And now we hear that 100 beds have been lost because a contract with Extended Stay America wasn't signed and the hotel has backed out of any proposed deal.  Plan B, replacing the beds with others at other hotels, is in the works with 15 secured so far.
So, where are we?  205 beds (!!) from the 269 announced on Oct 23 are lost, or in dire jeopardy.  If some of the Mather cottages are to be used, they won't be available any time soon. Twenty-two beds at a hotel/motel are now being used, or soon will be used by the 22 unworthy safe ground core group for winter. And storms are coming on November 17 [40% chance of rain] and on November 20 [60% chance of rain].

Things are in disarray.  The winds of chaos are swirling.  NOW is the winter of our discontent.
-----
Update:  A litte after this blogpost went up, an announcement was made in Friendship Park that the former-detox center opened as a winter shelter for solo men, according to information I received 'on the street.'  More information on that shelter will be forthcoming in a blogpost, coming in a few days.

Update #2:  A news item at KCRA tells us this:  "[A shelter] opened Tuesday [11/10], which was once used to treat substance abusers, has been transformed into a dormitory with 32 beds."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mission Five Years Ago, And Today

I have spent the night the past two weeks plus at the Union Gospel Mission and am having an excellent time of it -- not only regards to sleeping in the dorm that the mission has, but also listening to the sermons that are delivered in the early evening. The Christmas music that is performed is also splendid. [And the food -- the FOOD -- has been fantastic during my stay so far! A happier Tom there couldn't be.] I chatted with a pal last night about The Mish – about how things were about five years ago when we both used the mission’s services frequently, and how thing are, today.
Five years ago, there were a lot scuffles between the guys when the front gate was opened in the early afternoon and in the area near the contact window there were some brawls as guys fought over where guys were in line to get a bed in the dorm.
Nowadays, however, the mission is very much a peaceful place both on the grounds of the facility and and out on the street.
I do not know what transformative eve…

Homeless Sacramentans lose case that would have given them the right to set up outdoor camping

8/11/13 I certainly give attorneys Mark Merin and Cat Williams credit for pursuing a case against the city of Sacramento to give homeless Sacramentans the right to set up tents and a campsite. I wanted them to win their case, but they didn't. They lost it.

BUT, it is also necessary to look at the particulars of the case that Merin and Williams brought and see that the situation underlying the court case was not very compelling.

During the period eight years ago when 22 homeless campers set up their tents and brought in supplies to Mark Merin's vacant lot at C Street, near 12th, there was loud noise and plenty of other mayhem. Drug dealers were on the street encouraging buys from the campers. The Hernandez couple that lived in a house nearby were constantly being taunted by the campers, disrupting their lives.

Per always with Safe Ground camps, calm was deserted for the sake of boisterousness.

Leader John Kraintz and the other Safe Grounders would claim to have signed strict a…

After a Three-Month Hiatus, a Fall from a Ladder & a Broken Wrist, Evangelist Jimmy Roughton Returns to Union Gospel Mission to Preach

After being away from Union Gospel Mission for a quarter of a year, Jimmy Roughton returned to preach at UGM on the cold night of December 13 -- despite suffering [a little? a lot? dunno.] from a fall from a ladder that likely immediately preceded a significant injury (a wrist that was broken).


It was good to see his group from Capital Free Will Baptist Church up on the pulpit, with Roughton rough-and-ready to seduce and inspire the happily-captivate crowd at UGM.


Roughton told us in his opening words that he was now in his 27th year coming to the mission.

I recall the first preaching I had heard from Roughton on June 13, 2009. At that time and up to the current time, Roughton is the only preacher I had ever heard evoke Pascal's Wager -- which is something he would do, occasionally thereafter at the mission. He would evoke Pascal's wager, yet again, last night [12/13/17].


Pascal's wager

Last night, Jimmy evoked Pascal's Wager. He did so near the end of his talk, citing …