Skip to main content

SacHo to be official media at Sacramento Homeless Connect 2009

This year's Sacramento Homeless Connect will occur on May 30 at Sacramento City College, from 10am to 3pm. Tom Armstrong (that is, I) will be one of the "official media" people at the event, getting a badge and whatever other perks [donuts!?] come with that. As a media person, I intend to witness what occurs at the event and interview attendees, staff, volunteers, booth/kiosk experts, jazzband members, other media people, and whoever else wanders by.

The 2009 event will be the second annual Homeless Connect. The inaugural H.C. was held on May 31, 2008, at Cal Expo in the building that is currently operating as the homeless shelter known as Overflow.

This year's event isn't rolling out as impressively as last year's did, as I recall. But then, of course, last year's event was the very first, so it may have needed an especially big build-up. This year, now nine days away from H.C., there is little I've seen that would make people aware that an important date for homeless people in the metropolis is acoming.

At the Hands on Sacramento website, we're told this:

This year we expect over 700 guests, 400 volunteers, and 200 staff to participate.

At Sacramento Homeless Connect, guests access:
  • Housing and employment programs
  • Vision and dental screenings
  • Free identification cards
  • Alcohol and drug assessments
  • Legal counseling [Val Jon Farris will be the coordinator.]
  • Bicycle repair
  • HIV and Hepatitis C tests
  • Veterans Benefits
  • And more!
Benefits of Homeless Connect:
  • Connects homeless individuals to important services all in one place, reducing frustration and increasing awareness about possible sources of assistance.
  • Inspires community members to help end homelessness.
  • Businesses, faith-based groups, and colleges have the opportunity to make personal connections with people in need.
  • Helps debunk common myths and stereotypes about people who are homeless.
Re that last bulletted list, I don't know why Homeless Connect would "inspire community members to help end homelessness." I mean, THEY are not the ones coming to the event.

Also, I don't know why the event should help debunk myths and stereotypes about the homeless. The general public isn't going to be visiting the Homeless Connect event. And media coverage is not going to be all that widespead.

If the event "only" serves to inform, help and entertain many members of Homeless World Sac, that would be plenty nice. I, for one, would be mighty happy with that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loaves & Fishes implicates Buddhism and Jack Kornfield in its June Donations Plea.

The Sukhothai Traimit Golden Buddha was found in a clay-and-plaster overlaid buddha statue in 1959, after laying in wait for 500 years. It's huge and heavy: just under 10 feet tall and weighs 5 1/2 tons. At the beginning of their June newsletter , Loaves and Fishes relates a story, taken from the beginning of renowned Buddhist teacher Jack Kornfield's 2008 book The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology . The first part and first chapter in Kornfield's book is "Part I: Who are you really?" and chapter 1 is called "Nobility: Our Original Goodness," which ought to serve as a clue to what the beginning of the book is about, not that that sentiment isn't strewn through-out the chapter, section and book such that what Kornfield is telling us should be crystal clear. Somehow, the not-ready-for-primetime management at Loaves & Fishes have managed to use Kornfield's wise and kindly words in a way that mangles th...

In an act of Collective Punishment, Loaves & Fishes closes its park in the morning on New Year’s Day

Calvin [a "green hat" in Unfriendly Park] makes the argument for continued incompetent management. Hobbes represents me — only, in real life, I don't have that good a coat . In an act of Collective Punishment, Loaves & Fishes closes its park in the morning on New Year’s Day In one respect — and only one — that I can think of, Loaves & Fishes is NOT hypocritical: The management hates the way America is run and wants to turn it into a backward communist country . Consistent with that, Loaves & Fishes’ management runs its facility like a backward communist country. The People’s Republic of Loaves & Fishes. A seemingly minor thing happened on New Year’s Day. A couple of people smoked a joint in Loaves & Fishes’ Friendship Park and one of the park directors, or both of them, determined, at about 10am, that, in retribution, they would punish all the homeless there by closing the park for the day. This is something the managers of the park do all the ...

Common ground on safe ground. Common sense, not communism.

Mayor Kevin Johnson at Safe Ground campground. [ twitpic : share photos on Twitter] For the second week in a row, I attended the Tuesday meeting of the SHOC Homeless Leadership Project effort to achieve safe ground , at the Delaney Center at the Loaves & Fishes facility. [ Here , my account of the prior week's mtg, which provides much the same news that was today's Top Story in the Bee .] I was reluctant to attend. Though I endorse core objectives of the group – support for a currently existant encampment of homeless people, called Safe Ground; and the mayor's effort, with Stepping Stone, to create a legal homeless encampment in Sacramento – the group evidences a lot of troubling Leftist attitudes and practices. Nonetheless, I was encouraged to attend and it became known to me that people were fully aware I was a blogger. [Both the prior week and today I introduced myself as being with Sacramento Homeless blog. Today, Paula Lomazzi of SHOC commended my article " A...